Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14th

Even though we will have a lot of cold mornings here in Virginia before the last freeze, it is still time to get many cold hardy vegetables going in the garden.  I have planted collard, lettuce, radish, and spinach seeds as well as a crop of onions.  I don't know why but my best crop of radishes every year is the first.  After that the radishes grown nice green tops but don't bulb under the soil.  All of the seeds are from gardening shops except the collards seeds.  I harvested them from plants last June 2010.

I put down new landscape fabric between the rows to minimize weeds.  I know it is a sacrilege amongst purist, but I broke down this year and bought cauliflower and brussell sprouts seedlings from Lowe's hardware.  I only have so much southern window space to start seeds so I save it for a variety of tomatoes and peppers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment